Delmar Homes For Sale The Little Town Too Big For One State
Delmar’s history begins in 1859, when the Delaware Railroad was extended to the southern boundary of Delaware. Elijah Freeney and Winder Hastings, large estate owners, granted right-of-way to the railroad and donated land for a terminal. Mr. Freeney laid out the small town and built the first house and the first store. The Town grew and the rail line continued south. Many railroad employees settled here on both sides of the state line. In the late 1880’s, many homes and businesses were established, thus leading to Delmar, Maryland becoming incorporated in 1888.